Generally, traffic laws are put in place to protect drivers against hazards from the road. In some cases, like these seven crazy traffic laws, the rules are too absurd to really protect against anything…
1. However much you may want to, it’s against the law to strap your dog to the roof of a car in Alaska.
2. In Tennessee and California, shooting an animal from a vehicle is illegal – unless that animal happens to be a whale.
3. Fire trucks in New Britain, Connecticut are under no circumstances to surpass 25 mph, not even on the way to a five-alarm fire.
4. In New Jersey, no matter how bad a police officer makes you feel during a traffic stop, it is illegal to frown in his face.
5. In order for a woman to operate a motor vehicle in Memphis or New Orleans, a man must go ahead of her, waving a warning flag.
6. Drivers headed down rural Pennsylvania roads must stop every mile to launch a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes, and ensure no livestock is present before proceeding.
7. It is illegal to drive a black vehicle on Sundays in Denver, and Minneapolis prohibits red ones from parking on Lake Street on any day of the week.